392nd Bomb Group

Target: Bremen - 13 November 1943 - Mission #8

Twenty-four (24) B-24s took off for this raid with the 576th leading. Fifteen (15) reached the target with (8) having to abort due to mechanical difficulties and (1) because of weather prior to target. Bomb loading consisted of 500# General Purpose (GP) weapons and bombing was accomplished off a PFF lead ship due to obscured target weather. Results were not observed. Enemy defenses again were quite heavy and Group losses high. Some 50-75 single and twin-engine fighters pressed home attacks and anti-aircraft fire was some of heaviest and accurate seen on these early missions. The Group lost (4) aircraft; one due to enemy fighters and (3) to flak. An additional (6) B-24s were damaged. Group gunners claimed (7) enemy aircraft, but the unit suffered an additional (43) casualties (40) crew-members MIA and (3) injured. This was to be one of the costliest raids to the Group in men and aircraft losses during the early missions of World War II. Total flight duration for this mission was 7:00 hours.


MISSING AIRCREW REPORT: #01551 AIRCRAFT: #42-7540 "CREW CHIEF" "A" 6th Mission
P   l/LT  Harris, John D. Jr       POW
CP  2/LT  Kearns, Louis L.         POW
N   2/LT  Ryan, James D. Jr        KIA
B   2/LT  Westerfield, Henry B. Jr POW
R/O T/S   Veronick, Joseph J.      POW
AEn S/S   Copeland, Jack N.        POW
Eng S/S   Freshner, William I.     POW
WG  SGT   Reardon,, Patrick M.     POW
WG  S/S   Pedersen, Fredrick M.    POW
TG  SGT   Ortiz, Joseph C.         POW

MISSION CREW LOSS CIRCUMSTANCES: Pilot Harris was flying the aircrew of a pilot Roper for this mission. In 1945 after war’s end, Flight Engineer Freshner was contacted regarding the details of this crew’s mission, and the loss of the Navigator, 2/Lt. Ryan. A summation of this de-briefing stated that a heavy overcast of clouds hampered the formation join-up of this aircrew with the 392nd ships. Clouds extended from around 4,000 to 20,000 feet clear inland from the Dutch coast. The ship became separated from the Group formation en-route to target and elected to return to home base from over Holland. On letting down to visual conditions, the plane was hit by anti-aircraft fire which knocked out the two engines on the right wing. The abandon ship order was given at about 8,000 feet with the aircraft crashing then about (26) miles south of Rotterdam, Holland. No sightings of this aircraft and aircrew were made by any eye-witness accounts by the mission 392nd crews upon return.

INDIVIDUAL ACCOUNTS OF CREWMEN FATES: On 1 November 1945, then Captain Harris, the Pilot, submitted a written account to military officials on his recollections, and to the effect: That the Navigator, Lt. Ryan, was dead to the best of his knowledge. He noted that Lt. Ryan was last seen on the flight deck just after the ship was hit by flak, and then returned to the nose position to retrieve his parachute and that was the last he saw of the Navigator. He and the Co-Pilot did not try egress until they were assured all other crewmen had bailed out. Later, Pilot Harris was informed by the Germans when he was captured that one of the crews members had been killed and Lt. Ryan was unaccounted for by the other members. The men had been fired upon by small arms fire during their parachute descents and possibly Lt. Ryan had suffered fatal wounds. The Flight Engineer’s report was more specific from his interview about Lt. Ryan’s fate in that he stated that the Bombardier, Lt. Kerns, later noted that Lt. Ryan was last seen by him at the bomb bay doors ready to jump, but perhaps felt there was not enough altitude left to do so. This report went on to state that the German captors had informed them later that a crushed body had been found under the ship’s remains - and this casualty was Lt. Ryan. As a concluding and clarifying point, the Co-Pilot’s account, that of Lt. Kearns, noted that there was insufficient altitude for him and the Pilot, Lt. Harris, to bail out safely after the abandon ship order was given beginning around 8,000 feet. He also last saw Lt. Ryan, the Navigator, on the bomb bay catwalk with chute on and preparing to bail out. In view of the very low altitude by then, the Pilot and Co-Pilot settled back into their crew positions and successfully crash-landed the airplane. The Co-Pilot as well felt that Lt. Ryan may have been hit by small arms fire somehow in that the ship was under heavy enemy fire from around 3,000 feet down to 1,500 feet. The surviving crew was only free for a very few minutes before capture and were taken to the German guard house in Rotterdam before being transported by rail the next morning to Amsterdam where the captors confirmed Lt. Ryan’s death. The on-scene German report, Ku All, noted this ship down on the mission date at 1007 hours, southeast of Fuettershock, Holland, and Lt. Ryan identified as deceased. The names and dog tag details on all the remaining and captured crew members were noted on this same report.

BURIAL RECORDS: Initial burial of Lt. Ryan by the Germans was made at the Rotterdam-Oreeswijk cemetery in the sector for enemy forces, Row 1, #121. U.S. National Cemetery records reflect that this crew member was later interred in the NETHERLANDS (Margraten) Cemetery, Grave 0-7-17. He was awarded the Air Medal and the Purple Heart according to the latter.

NEXT OF KIN DATA IN WWII: This listing was: Harris (Mother, Edith L. Harris, W. Los Angeles, California); Kearns (Father, Salt Lake City, Utah); Ryan (Wife, Iris of Hollywood, California); Westerfield (Mother, Calfern, New Orleans, Louisiana); Veronick (Mother, Julia, of Largo, Pennsylvania); Freshner (Wife, Anna of Miamisburg, Ohio); Copeland (Mother, Emma, of Mineral Springs, Arkansas); Reardon (Mother, Catherine Reardon, Glouchester, Massachusetts); Pedersen (Mother, Mrs Louis G. Pedersen, Algengnia, Illinois) and Ortiz (Wife, Mrs Joseph C. of Chicago, Illinois).

P   l/LT Marfia, Frank (NMI)    KIA
CP  2/LT Bondar, Nicholas D.    KIA
N   2/LT Wyatt, Raymond L.      KIA
B   2/LT Moor, James W.         KIA
R/O T/S  Brown, Kenneth 0.      KIA
EnG T/S  Sekavec, Roy G.        KIA
NG  S/S  DeSimone, Peter P      KIA
WG  S/S  Emerson, Herbert B. Jr KIA
WG  S/S  Cunningham, William A. KIA
TG  S/S  Simpson, James F.      KIA

MISSION LOSS CIRCUMSTANCES: An after-mission report on 15 November 1943 given by Major Gray, Acting Command Pilot, on the Deputy Lead aircraft #492 reported that Lt. Marfia’s B-24 had been struck by bombs from the 392nd Lead ship #527 and #2 engine of the Marfia aircraft was set afire, and immediately following over this target the latter Liberator was attacked by enemy aircraft with a 20mm shell going through the tail gunner’s turret and waist gun positions - probably killing the gunners in all these positions. This conclusion was based on guns being observed from these stations, but not firing at this point on. This aircraft then began losing altitude under the enemy attacks, but was seen still continuing the route and subsequently crashed or ditched in the North Sea approaches near the Zuider Zee. No parachutes were ever seen. The target attack time was at 1144 to 1147 hours for all elements of the 392nd. Another report noted that the Marfia ship was last seen at approximate coordinates 52-40N 02-30E at 1330 hours, shot up but seemingly under control. It was further speculated that this aircraft had run short of fuel contributing to this crew’s loss.


BURIAL RECORDS: All crew members are listed on the WALL OF THE MISSING at the U.S. National Cemetery, CAMBRIDGE, England. All members are noted to have received the Air Medal and the Purple Heart. There are no German records to reflect the loss of this aircrew and aircraft.

NEXT OF KIN DATA IN WWII: No record exists in the MACR. However, the home States of the crew members were as follows: Marfia (Michigan); Bondar (Michigan); Wyatt (Missouri); Moor (Texas); Brown (Wisconsin); DeSimone (Massachusetts); Sekavec (New York); Emerson (Massachusetts); Cunningham (Illinois); Simpson (Arkansas). (Author’s note: A correction to the proper spelling of De Simone’s name as shown here, from the initial crew loading list, was made by the 392nd later and the cemetery record reflects same).

MISSING AIRCREW REPORT: #01553 AIRCRAFT: #42-7483 "BIG DOG" "R-Bar" 5th Mission
P   2/LT Marx, Isaac S.          POW
CP  2/LT Chenet, James H.        POW
N   2/LT Ferrari, Victor J.      EVD
B   2/LT Roberts, Omar E. Jr     EVD/POW
R/O T/S  Mandell, Nicholas (NMI) EVD
WG  T/S  Pose, Harold E.         POW
WG  S/S  Sanna, Mario G.         POW
E   S/S  Fletcher, Edgar B.      POW
TG  S/S  Stewart, Jack. 0        POW
BT  S/S  Wright, Richard S.      POW

MISSION LOSS CIRCUMSTANCES: An article in the August 1997 issue of the 392nd BGMA NEWS provided these details. The Marx crew was on their second mission when flak damage ruptured the fuel lines. Marx knew they couldn't make it back across the Channel, so he "gave the bail-out order over Holland. The six in the front of the plane exited by parachute, but the four gunners in the rear did not hear the bail-out signal and rode the plane down. The pilot had put it on automatic pilot, and when it neared the ground it pancaked, ending up in a canal right side up. It landed at the outskirts of the Dutch village of Zwartsluis, and the villagers brought the [four] crewmen to shore with boats. They had no choice but to turn them over to the German occupying forces."

T/Sgt Mandell remembered, "We were on our way back from target, with the tail guns and one nose gun out of commission, when number four prop ran away and was feathered. We started into a slow dive. The controls must have been hit for the pilot could get no results from the stick. Fighters came in again but P-47s gave us cover. The pilot called for me and the engineer; we saw that some of the instruments were out. When numbers two and three began to have trouble, Lt Marx switched on the automatic pilot. Sgt Fletcher reached for his chute; the pilot motioned me to do the same. We were at 10,500 feet when the pilot motioned to the engineer to jump and he left through the bomb bays. I went back to the radio room and blew up the IFF. When I returned the pilot and co-pilot had left their seats and were helping one another with their chutes. They motioned me out and I jumped from the bomb bays."

2/Lt Fletcher also recalled that they were dropping from formation and the engines were making "weird noises" when 2/Lt Marx told him to get ready to bail out.

Their B-24 pancaked in the canal Meppelerdiep; the circle D on its tail is clearly visible.

INDIVIDUAL ACCOUNTS OF CREWMEN FATES: Marx, Chenet, Pose, Sanna, Fletcher, Stewart, and Wright were captured soon after landing.

2/Lt Ferrari successfully evaded capture. In his Escape and Evasion Report, Ferrari later wrote, "The escape hatch would not open when we tried it, so the bombardier and I went out the open bomb bays. We were at approximately 1000 feet.

My chute had barely opened when I landed. I had pulled the ripcord three times without success. It finally opened when I pulled hard with both hands. Later my helps told me that, on examining the chutes in four different cases, where they had not opened, they found that each chute would have opened if pulled at hard enough. They are hard to open in cases where the varnish has caused the pin to stick. I must have been knocked out momentarily on landing. Groaning as the chute jerked open, and again as I hit the ground, is all that I remember. When I came to I got to my knees and pulled in my chute and then hid it in the brush along the canal. The Dutch later hid it for me in the canal itself.

I could see a crew member on the far side of the canal. After taking off my heavy equipment, which I also left in the brush, I swam to him. His arm and shoulder had been badly hurt in landing. [This was bombardier 2/Lt Roberts.] I took out my language card and with it asked the crowd if we could expect help. The answer was yes. A man, who could speak English, said: "Make haste, the Germans are coming." The crowd donated three bicycles and we rode off with a helper. These soon proved impracticable due to my comrade's injuries. We threw the bicycles into the canal and hurried along it on foot. We had just branched off onto a dirt road when our helper made us hide in the weeds and rushes. The Germans came up to the dirt road but did not enter it. As they continued down the highway our friend slipped away, motioning to us to remain. Three hours later he returned and hid us on the bank of another canal until dark.

That night we were stealthily led to a farm where we were fed and given civilian clothes. After another cross-country walk we were hidden in a hayrick for the night. The next morning we were called for and the rest of the journey was arranged. The Germans had already, however, posted our friend's picture and offered a reward for him. His home was searched and guarded so that he could no longer return there."

2/Lt Roberts evaded for five months. While at Wiesbaden, Germany, he provided a statement to his captors, which is summarized here. It is not known if these details are factual or invented to mislead the Germans: he was sent to England in September 1943 and was assigned as a 2/Lt crew member of a B-24 Liberator to the 578th Squadron, 392nd Group with home base Wendling. He was trained as a Bombardier and had taken part in two raids (on 5 November 1943, target Munster, and 13 November, a raid on Bremen and the submarine dockyards). His ship was downed by flak and later an enemy fighter over Holland. A 20-year old Frenchman and another boy whose names he did not know helped him. He rode a bicycle to a safe farmhouse shelter and was given civilian clothing; he was taken later to an unknown town and house where he stayed from 14 November 1943 until 14 January 1944. He was given a Dutch ID card and taken to Brussels and there was given a French ID card, and within two days taken onto Paris where he and two other aviators stayed for two weeks. He had no knowledge of any house or person's name in all these hidings. After Paris they were taken by train to Toulouse and left this train at a village south of Toulouse, name also unknown, at about the 6th siding. On 6 February 1944, he was moved with ten other American and English aviators and about seven French and Dutch civilians in an overnight march over the mountains toward a Spanish border. His group was seen by two German border policemen with a dog and he and eight aviators and seven of the civilians were arrested.

Roberts further said that as a Bombardier flying in bomber formation, he did not know of any special bombsights or pathfinder planes, and his job was just to open the bomb bay doors at the moment the leading plane dropped bombs at the target. He said he was told in England that these bombs would have long colorful ribbons attached so as to give the formation a better visibility of the target but that it was unknown whether this procedure was still employed by lead planes.

In his Escape and Evasion Report, S/Sgt Mandell stated, "I delayed my jump to 4000 feet. I was spinning badly. When I pulled the ripcord the pilot chute shot out. I made two turns, but my chute did not open. I pulled hard on the pilot chute and the chute opened with a jerk that knocked me out for a few seconds. I landed in a pasture 50 feet from a highway. I came down easily and fell forward with the chute. There was some drag, but I was soon out of the harness and hid it, my chute and Mae West in the high grass along a stream.

I went up the highway on which there were a lot of people, and tried to get someone to give me a topcoat. I could not make myself understood and no help was offered. Finally a man making a pistol with his fingers, pointed them at his head and said, "Germans." I understood and ran back to the pasture. When I came to the stream again a man helped jerk me across with a pole, but he could not understand me when I asked for help. I was winded and sat down for a minute. A crowd gathered immediately.

A young man stepped up to me, offered me a cigarette, and said, "My ally" in perfect English. He told me to hide and that he would help me. I asked him to have the people scatter, as they were bound to attract the Germans. The crowd immediately did as told them and he told me to hide in the swamp grass in the center of the field. As I started to do so three Germans on bicycles, who had already noticed the crowd, left the highway and started across the fields.

My friend thought it useless to hide, as he knew we had been seen. I thought it worth the effort and ran over to the stream. I hid in the grass along the banks and wriggled my way upstream a good distance. Then I sat in the water pulling grass and weeds about my head and shoulders. It began to thunder and lightning and I saw the Germans hurrying back to their bicycles. Four and a half hours later my friend returned with a coat, sandwiches, and a bottle of milk. Then he left again.

After dark I was picked up and driven off. As I sat in the back seat changing into civilian clothes, two pro-German policemen stopped the vehicle. They examined the headlights at length and fined the driver. They were about to search the car, when the driver stated that he worked for the Germans. We were left to continue undisturbed to a barn in which I lived for two days until the rest of my journey was arranged."

According to Dutch researcher Teunis Schuurman, Ferrari stayed in Meppel at the house of Rev. van Nooten from 14 Nov 1943 until 14 January 1944. Then, Joke Folmer from "Fiat Libertas" guided them from Meppel to Maastricht by train. After two weeks in Maastricht, they were handed over to the Belgian resistance's Comete line and taken to Brussels and Paris, where they met radio operator Nicholas Mandell, and then on to Spain.

Ferrari returned to the UK on 27 April 1944 while Mandell returned on 11 May 1944.

For a complete account ot T/Sgt Mandell's six-month journey to freedom and the names of the many people who helped him evade capture and made possible his escape to Spain, CLICK HERE to see his Escape and Evasion Report. It was provided by the family of Paul VandenBroek, one of Mandell's Dutch helpers.

BURIAL RECORDS: Not involved in this MACR.

NEXT OF KIN DATA IN WWII: Not given except for post-war addresses for T/S Pose (10164 Sunland Blvd., Roscoe, CA) and 2/Lt Marx (c/o The Southern Hardware Co., Monroe, LA).

MISSING AIRCREW REPORT: #01554 AIRCRAFT: #42-7561 "MACK’S SACK II" "A-Bar" 16th Mission
P   1/LT Lamma, Ralph E.       KIA
CP  1/LT Robson, Nicholas B.   POW
N   1/LT Adams, John H. Jr     POW
B   1/LT Freeborn, Duane E.    KIA
R/O S/S  Heckendorn, George F. KIA
EnG T/S  Prud'Homme, Elroy J.  POW
NG  T/S  Murphy, William F.    POW
WG  S/S  Wind, Frank A.        KIA
WG  S/S  O’Reilly, Charles E.  POW
TG  S/S  Lanier, Ralph (NMI-G) KIA

MISSION LOSS CIRCUMSTANCES: The eye-witness accounts given by a 392nd returning aircrew Pilot, Lt. Fogarty, stated that the above aircrew’s ship went down at 1125 hours in a spin and on fire having been attacked by an FW-109 enemy fighter, north and east of the target. There were no other related details of the loss in the MACR.

INDIVIDUAL ACCOUNTS OF CREWMEN FATES: Prud'Homme writes: "We were attacked by FW 190's in the first action and our electrical system was so affected that the nose turret was put out of action. Our aircraft was a B-24H and the arrangement of the turret was such that the bombardier, Freeborn was not able to extricate himself until the turret was manually cranked to a full centered position. This was accomplished with Freeborn working within the turret and my operating the emergency crank located at the base of the turret within the plane.

When Freeborn was out of the turret I attempted to open the nose wheel doors, which provided the escape hatch for the Navigator and bombardier. On applying pressure on the two handles operation the emergency release mechanism, both of them broke off, rendering useless this means of escape.

Just before the first attack by German fighters I had opened our bomb bay doors on signal from the group lead. Freeborn and I both realized this was the only alternative for escaping. Leading the way to the rear we went to the bomb bay where I bailed out. Just before I started back I talked to Freeborn and I'm quite certain he was still uninjured and apparently had full use of all his mental and physical capacities. We both had our chutes. This was the last time I saw him, and he is the only crew member I saw or had any contact with, except over the inter-phone system, from the time we left the ground till after I had reached the ground after bailing out."

After the war, certain surviving crew members who had been POWs were queried by higher headquarters through an "Individual Casualty Questionnaire". This form was a standard one used for the purpose of follow-up later. In the case of this aircrew, these queries were initiated on Pilot Lamma and Gunner Wind regarding what was known about their loss, and made to the Navigator, Lt. Adams. Lt. Adams in summary responded by noting: that Sgt. Wind had been killed while they were in the ship by enemy aircraft firing, either a 20mm shell or rocket while in his waist position and SGT. O’Reilly, another crew gunner, was the source of this information; and that Pilot Lamma, last seen in his pilot seat, was also killed while in the air. A German on-scene report, #KU141 on the same date of mission, listed the (5) prisoners of the aircrew who were captured; and (5) dead crewmen found with (1) of these listed as "unknown".

The Lamma crew initial duty assignment was making anti-submarine patrols. When they were re-assigned to the 392nd, they received mission credit for their patrols, as follows:

1st Lt Lamma, credited with 15 operational missions

1st Lt Robson, credited with 12 operational missions

1st Lt Adams, credited with 16 operational missions

1st Lt Freeborn, credited with 16 operational missions

S/Sgt Heckendorn, credited with 15 operational missions

T/Sgt Murphy, credited with 15 operational missions

S/Sgt Wind, credited with 15 operational missions

S/Sgt O'Reilly, credited with 15 operational missions

S/Sgt Lanier, credited with 15 operational missions

The crew was shot down on their third mission with the 392nd. According to an article in the August 2000 issue of the 392nd BGMA NEWS, "The weather was terrible, the formations not tight, and the Luftwaffe fighters showed up in force. The a/c was badly shot up and in a flat spin when the bail-out order was given and half the crew parachuted safely."

BURIAL RECORDS: The German on-scene report above reflected that the five dead members were interred at the Lawe cemetery in Oldenburg, Germany. No grave plots were given. Two of the men are now interred at the Ardennes American Cemetery: S/Sgt Heckendorn in Grave A-28-2 and 1/Lt Freeborn in Grave C-22-5. Both men had been awarded the Air Medal and the Purple Heart. 1/Lt Lamma is now interred in Section/Plot 7, Grave 10201-A in Arlington National Cemetery. Final burial information for S/Sgts. Wind and Lanier is not known.

NEXT OF KIN DATA IN WWII: The existing record lists the following: Lamma (Wife, Ruth of Albany, Georgia); Robson (Mother, Mrs H.T. Robson, Salina, Kansas); Adams (Father, John H. of Hamden, Connecticut); Freeborn (Sister-in-Law, Mrs. Donald H. Kane, Binghampton, New York); Heckendorn (Father, Joseph T. of Reading, Pennsylvania); Prud'Homme (Mother, Mrs Clara G. Prud'Homme, Milwaukee, Wisconsin); Wind (Father, Frank A. of South Greenwood, S. Carolina); Murphy (Father, Marion L. Murphy, Hornbeck, Louisiana); O’Reilly (Mother, Marguerite O’Reilly, Manchester, New Hampshire); and Lanier (Father, William A, Calhoun, Georgia).



13 Nov 1943 576th Sqdn.
A/C 506 (abort, no sortie credit)
P Barnes, L.J. 1st Lt.
CP Shelton, W.L. 2nd Lt.
N Stankan, P.C. 2nd Lt.
B Jackson, G.J. 2nd Lt.
R Jenkins, W.B. T/Sgt.
AR Malloy, P.D. S/Sgt.
E Lewis, E.L. Jr. T/Sgt.
AE Choromanski, J.E. S/Sgt.
G Crowley, C.J. S/Sgt.
AG Riley, A.J. S/Sgt.
13 Nov 1943 576th Sqdn.
A/C 540
P Harris, J.D. Jr. 1st Lt.
CP Kearns, L.L. 2nd Lt.
N Ryan, J.L. Jr. 2nd Lt.
B Westerfield, H.B. Jr. 2nd Lt.
R Veronick, J.J. T/Sgt.
AR Reardon, P.M. Sgt.
E Freshner, W.I. S/Sgt.
AE Copeland, J.M. S/Sgt.
G Ortiz, J.C. Sgt.
AG Pedersen, F.M. S/Sgt.
13 Nov 1943 576th Sqdn.
A/C 480 (spare, no sortie credit)
P Ford, J.H. 2nd Lt.
CP Bunting, D.W. 2nd Lt.
N Duncan, R.H. 2nd Lt.
B Machak, J.G. 2nd Lt.
R Kramer, A.W. S/Sgt.
AR Saucedo, J.A. Sgt.
E Lewis, G.F. S/Sgt.
AE Roberson, L.P. S/Sgt.
G Arnold, L.D. Sgt.
AG Overholt, H.R. Sgt.
13 Nov 1943 576th Sqdn.
A/C 537 (abort, no sortie credit)
P Bingham, M.O. 2nd Lt.
CP Winkler, R.D. 2nd Lt.
N Schutz, G.T. 2nd Lt.
B Graham, J.F. Jr. Sgt. 2nd Lt.
R Massimiani, O.A. Sgt.
AR Nemeth, J.L. Sgt.
E Helmes, C.F. S/Sgt.
AE Harris, M.C. Sgt.
G Claffey, L.A. S/Sgt.
AG Harvison, W.P. Sgt.
13 Nov 1943 576th Sqdn.
A/C 527
CA Johnson, L.L. Lt.Col.
P Lowell, C.L. 2nd Lt.
CP Patterson, J.B. 2nd Lt.
McShane, W.F. 2nd Lt.
N Koch, C.H. 1st Lt.
B Amoss, R.T. 2nd Lt.
R Connolly, M.T. S/Sgt.
AR Nelson, A.W. S/Sgt.
E Bennett, L.G. T/Sgt.
AE Jackson, B.F. S/Sgt. G
AG Luciano, R.E. S/Sgt.
13 Nov 1943 576th Sqdn.
A/C 492
P Gray, C.T. Maj.
CP Scarlata, A. 1st Lt.
N Siggs, P.S. 2nd Lt.
B Feldman, A. 1st Lt.
R Martin, E.M. T/Sgt.
AR Youst, K.E. S/Sgt.
E Peterson, G.H. T/Sgt.
AE Williams, R.F. S/Sgt.
G Longchamps, A.L. S/Sgt.
AG Smith, K.B. S/Sgt.
G Handelman, L. 2nd Lt.
13 Nov 1943 576th Sqdn.
A/C 500 (abort, no sortie credit)
P Rouse, M.S. 2nd Lt.
CP Schumacher, R.L. 2nd Lt.
N Henderson, D.J. 2nd Lt.
B Henderson, A.D. 2nd Lt.
R Gorman, E.P. T/Sgt.
AR Walters, J.S. S/Sgt.
E Nilson, T.N. T/Sgt.
AE Beaulieu, J.F. S/Sgt.
G Mezo, C.L. S/Sgt.
AG Lancaster, P.M. S/Sgt.
13 Nov 1943 576th Sqdn.
A/C 496 (abort, no mission credit)
P Copp, R.D. 1st Lt.
CP Meyers, J.W. 2nd Lt.
N Gries, R.F. 2nd Lt.
B Kelley, J.J. 2nd Lt.
R Hodge, G.L. T/Sgt.
AR Bisnett, B.R. T/Sgt.
E Shaw, L.S. Sgt.
AE Nowicki, M.M. S/Sgt.
G Noone, T.E. Jr. S/Sgt.
AG Hohman, H. S/Sgt.
13 Nov 1943 577th Sqdn.
A/C 479 (abort, no sortie credit)
P Breckenridge, L.G. 1st Lt.
CP Holm, H.J. 2nd Lt.
N Donaldson, C.D. 2nd Lt.
B Dilly, V.S. 2nd Lt.
R Rosenfeld, C.H. S/Sgt.
AR Troxel, D.G. S/Sgt.
E Goodman, L. T/Sgt.
AE Dinda, B.F. S/Sgt.
G Magee, J.H. Jr. Sgt.
AG Osterheldt, J.J. 2nd Lt.
13 Nov 1943 577th Sqdn.
A/C 493 (abort, no mission credit)
P Bolick, H.P. Jr. 2nd Lt.
CP Smith, H.J. 2nd Lt.
N Maupin, J.C. 2nd Lt.
B Yarbrough, W.L. Jr. 2nd Lt.
R Campbell, G.L. T/Sgt.
AR Klinchok, J.J. S/Sgt.
E Love, W.E. T/Sgt.
AE Krogh, S.A. Sgt.
G Craig, J.D. S/Sgt.
AG Harris, D.W. S/Sgt.
13 Nov 1943 577th Sqdn.
A/C 546 (abort, no sortie credit)
P Layton, S.H. 1st Lt.
CP Jenson, A.H. 2nd Lt.
N Beatson, R.J. 2nd Lt.
B Feagan, H.C. 2nd Lt.
R Gibbs, R.R. T/Sgt.
AR Daughtry, A.Z. S/Sgt.
E Johnson, J.C. T/Sgt.
AE Gottschalk, G.W. S/Sgt.
G Constabile, F.R. S/Sgt.
AG Boomhower, A. S/Sgt.
13 Nov 1943 577th Sqdn.
A/C 485
P Gonseth, F. Jr. 1st Lt.
CP Slipp, F.E. 2nd Lt.
N Long, A.L. 2nd Lt.
B Colburn, R.F. 2nd Lt.
R Kirkpatrick, H.L. T/Sgt.
AR Feller, N.L. S/Sgt.
E Jennings, H.C. T/Sgt.
AE Driver, D.M. S/Sgt.
G Fagan, J.E. S/Sgt.
AG Whalen, J.S. S/Sgt.
13 Nov 1943 577th Sqdn.
A/C 503
P Marfia, F. 1st. Lt.
CP Bondar, N.D. 2nd Lt.
N Wyatt, R.L. 2nd Lt.
B Moor, J.W. 2nd Lt.
R Brown, K.O. T/Sgt.
AR DeSimone, P.P. S/Sgt.
E Sekavec, R.G. T/Sgt.
AE Emerson, H.B. Jr. S/Sgt.
G Cunningham, W. A. Sgt.
AG Simpson, J.F. S/Sgt.
13 Nov 1943 577th Sqdn.
A/C 482 (abort, no mission credit)
P Usry, W.F. 2nd Lt.
CP Turner, D.L. 2nd Lt.
N Snyder, R.D. 2nd Lt.
B Floyd, C.E. 2nd Lt.
R Howard, R.E. T/Sgt.
AR Horowitz, G. S/Sgt.
E Morr, R.J. T/Sgt.
AE Matta, I.D. S/Sgt.
G Matthews. A.D. S/Sgt.
AG Dunlap, V.M. S/Sgt.
13 Nov 1943 578th Sqdn.
A/C 483
P Marx, I.S. 2nd Lt.
CP Chenet, J.H. 2nd Lt.
N Ferrari, V.J. 2nd Lt.
B Roberts, O.E. Jr. 2nd Lt.
R Mandell, N. T/Sgt.
AR Fletcher, E.B. S/Sgt.
E Pose, H.E. T/Sgt.
AE Sanna, M.G. S/Sgt.
G Stewart, J.O. S/Sgt.
AG Wright, R.S. S/Sgt.
13 Nov 1943 578th Sqdn.
A/C 472
P Dudziak, T. 2nd Lt.
CP Miller, J.A. Jr. 2nd Lt.
N Berlin, W. 2nd Lt.
B Cattano, J.V. 2nd Lt.
R Watson, H.Q. T/Sgt.
AR Mehtala, A. S/Sgt.
E Bauer, H.P. T/Sgt.
AE Patterson, E.A. Jr. S/Sgt.
G Naters, E.R. S/Sgt.
AG Bartholomew, D.B. S/Sgt.
13 Nov 1943 578th Sqdn.
A/C 489 (abort, no sortie credit)
P Lishka, A. 1st Lt.
CP Feld, B.H. 2nd Lt.
N Moorehead, J.C. 2nd Lt.
B Brockway, O.E. 2nd Lt.
R Clark, F.C. S/Sgt.
AR Dohm, H.E. S/Sgt.
E Carlson, C.E. S/Sgt.
AE Halstead, H.C. S/Sgt.
G Drylie, J. S/Sgt.
AG Dedmon, S.E. S/Sgt.
13 Nov 1943 578th Sqdn.
A/C 502
P Carnine, G.D. 1st Lt.
CP Spears, K.E. 2nd Lt.
N Mastron, V. 2nd Lt.
B Byers, W.F. 2nd Lt.
R Barbee, B.B. T/Sgt.
AR Norby, M.W. T/Sgt.
E Hopson, N.A. T/Sgt.
AE Ostroski, L.B. S/Sgt.
G Knies, G.R. S/Sgt.
AG Kwasnycia, N. S/Sgt.
13 Nov 1943 578th Sqdn.
A/C 478
P Reade, J.J. 1st Lt.
CP Smith, R.L. 2nd Lt.
N Planche, M.M. 1st Lt.
B Ziccarelli, J.A. 2nd Lt.
R Schwabel, C.A. T/Sgt.
AR Bauer, W.E. S/Sgt.
E Sackal, W.M. T/Sgt.
AE Sikoff, H. Sgt.
G Turner, L.F. S/Sgt.
AG Wagner, D.R. S/Sgt.
13 Nov 1943 578th Sqdn.
A/C 486
P Fogarty, D.M. 2nd Lt.
CP Walker, R.S. 2nd Lt.
N Ott, J.W. 2nd Lt.
B Parish, J.K. 2nd Lt.
R Louizides, S. T/Sgt.
AR Smith, W.W. S/Sgt.
E Slama, A.R. T/Sgt.
AE Painter, R.E. S/Sgt.
G Haskins, B.D. S/Sgt.
AG Kurkomelis, G.C. S/Sgt.
13 Nov 1943 579th Sqdn.
A/C 529
P Voght, G.F. 1st Lt.
CP Detrick, J.W. 1st Lt.
N Witsell, E.F. Capt.
B Hall, H.P. 1st Lt.
R Andrews, W.E. T/Sgt.
AR Castle, O.D. S/Sgt.
E Owen, E.D. T/Sgt.
AE Ross, J.R. S/Sgt.
G Bacon, G.W. S/Sgt.
AG Dill, W.F. S/Sgt.
13 Nov 1943 579th Sqdn.
A/C 484
CA Keilman, M.H. Capt.
P Cassell, H.S. 1st Lt.
CP Colvin, J.A. F/O
N Bevan, K.S. 2nd Lt.
B Cetin, W.F. 2nd Lt.
R Tribbett, L.L. Sgt.
AR Geary, N.W. Sgt.
E Dobrowolski, C.J. S/Sgt.
AE Lett, E.W. T/Sgt.
G Yarbrough, W.L. Sgt.
AG Rothrock, C.T. S/Sgt.
5-11-43 579th Sqdn.
A/C 510 (abort, no sortie credit)
P Baumgart, V.A. 2nd Lt.
CP Cordes, W.C. 2nd Lt.
N Crouch, N.C. 2nd Lt.
B Stupski, S.J. 2nd Lt.
R Kiss, J. S/Sgt.
AR Yost, J.W. S/Sgt.
E Smith, D.L. S/Sgt.
AE Davis, H. T/Sgt.
G Fons, J.P. S/Sgt.
AG Money, J.A. S/Sgt.
X Whittaker, J.B. Capt.
13 Nov 1943 579th Sqdn.
A/C 556
P Higgins, J.A. 2nd Lt.
CP Wharton, P. 2nd Lt.
N Casey, H.W. 2nd Lt.
B Broyles, C. 2nd Lt.
R Boerschinger, M.F. T/Sgt.
AR Bookout, R.J. Sgt.
E Cauble, W.R. T/Sgt.
AE Sumlin, T.E. Sgt.
G York, D.L. Sgt.
AG Piper, C.A. Sgt.
13 Nov 1943 579th Sqdn.
A/C 626
P Rogillio, D.S. Jr. 2nd Lt.
CP Worker, L.R. 2nd Lt.
N Kelly, W.E. 2nd Lt.
B Hughes, R.J. 2nd Lt.
R Malak, A.J. T/Sgt.
AR Yorra, M.S. S/Sgt.
E Mazzei, A.P. T/Sgt.
AE Bryan, W.F. S/Sgt.
G Reljac, J.G. S/Sgt.
AG Rinke, A.P. S/Sgt.
13 Nov 1943 579th Sqdn.
A/C 561
P Lamma, R.E. 1st Lt.
CP Robson, N.B. 1st Lt.
N Adams, J.H. Jr. 1st Lt.
B Freeborn, D.E. 1st Lt.
R Heckendorn, G.F. S/Sgt.
AR Murphy, W.F. T/Sgt.
E Prud'Homme, E.J. T/Sgt.
AE Wind, F.A. Jr. S/Sgt.
G O'Reilly, C.E. S/Sgt.
AG Lanier, R. S/Sgt.